2017年12月17日日曜日

GPD Pocket [ Adding uSD & Biometric device]

GPD pocket is a good mobile PC, and I like very much to use. But I wanted to add uSD card reader and Biometric device.

Adding Micro SD Card Reader & Biometric Device

Soon I stareted to use my GPD Pocket, I thought it's a good idea to add some feature on it.

Micro SD Card Reader

Biometric Device (Finger Print Reader) for Quick & Secure Log-in

SIM card might be convenient, but leave this on wish list.

LINK

Reddit
雑技工房さんで日本語サイトの改造記事: Page is written in Japanese. My project became almost same as this page.

Basic Idea

Since Keyboard unit of Pocket uses USB 2. interface, 4 port USB hub can be inserted.
Now 3 ports and 5V power are avilable to add some devices.
I added a Finger print reader and a uSD card reader. I boughr compact USB devices and pick PCBs inside of them. Photos of the Finger print reader are posted later on this page.
It is one caution for a uSD card reader. I insert Card Detect Switch to Power line of SD reader. Without this after remove a SD card, windows cannot recognize new inserted card.

Parts

USB hub: Sold at Aitendo[M4-FE1.1S] PC Board type small size USB hub.
X'Tal: HUB controller reqire 12MHx X'Tal but not included.
Biometric Device: See photos later, I bought this at Amazon.
uSD Card Reader: USB Type compact card reader.
FFC Connector:HIROSE[FH19C-10S-0.5SH]. 0.9mm high. This low hight is requird.
Extention PCB:SANHAYATO[ICB-067] 0.5mm to 2.54mm pitch convert PCB. This is ridgit 0.1mmm thick PCB.
FFC or FPC: 0.5mm 10 way FFC. I found this in my parts box. No other information is avilable.
uSD Card Soket:HIROSE[DM3AT-SF-PEJM5] Push on, push off type.
Other: Double stickey tape, Capton tape, wire etc.

You need milling machine such as CNC. Drill press could be used, (but I'm not sure.)

Photos

Final look

uSD card out this position. It's easy to remove it.


Most dangerous step. Mill holes.

Hole from inside. It's not a perfect.



Circuit sould be tested before millimg GPD Pocket.
This is test fixture of USB hub.

Try to locate all component in GPB Pocket.
As you can see, it's enough space.
From Left- Biometric Device, SD Reader, USB hub.

SD card OFF POSITON.

It's better to flip USB hub.

Locate extention PCB.
I cut PCB with Scissors.

Locate FFC and FFC Soket


Wire out for indicater LED, but not used.

Start wiring.

Adding extention PCB.

All fit inside.



Biometric device. Finger print reader.
At first, drill out stopper.

Metal frame can be removed.


Cut plastic carefully.

Done this part.

Flex cable of GPD Pocket has very short remove life.
After 10 times on/off cycle, FFC is dimpled at contact position like this photo.
In this situation, the keyboard stop working.
In order to repair, you cut top of PCB which moves the contact point.

 At The End

Basics of this project is same as the Japanese Link.
I cannot give information about FFC. Please fined one yourself.

Please remodel it at your own risk.





0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿